Quality enhancement is a continuous process and IQAC is a part of the institution’s system and work towards realization of goals of quality enhancement and sustenance. In order to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic improvement in the overall performance of institutions as per NAAC guidelines, IQAC was established on 12 th February, 2001 in college. IQAC plans for strategies to remove deficiencies and top improvise the system for quality enhancement.
IQAC – Vision
To ensure quality culture as the prime concern for the Higher Education Institutions through institutionalizing and internalizing all the initiatives taken with internal and external support.
As per NAAC guidelines, the primary aim of IQAC is
- To develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the institution.
- To promote measures for institutional functioning towards quality enhancement through internalization of quality culture and institutionalization of best practices.
IQAC evolves mechanisms and procedures for
- Ensuring timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic, administrative and financial task;
- Relevant and quality academic/ research programs;
- Equitable access to and affordability of academic programs for various sections of society;
- Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning;
- The credibility of assessment and evaluation process;
- Ensuring the adequacy, maintenance and proper allocation of support structure and services;
- Sharing of research findings and networking with other institutions in India and abroad.
Some of the functions of the IQAC are:
- Development and application of quality benchmarks;
- Parameters for various academic and administrative activities of the institution;
- Facilitating the creation of a learner-centric environment conducive to quality education and faculty maturation to adopt the required knowledge and technology for participatory teaching and learning process;
- Collection and analysis of feedback from all stakeholder on quality-related institutional processes;
- Dissemination of information on various quality parameters to all stakeholders;
- Organization of inter and intra institutional workshops, seminars on quality related themes and promotion of quality circles;
- Documentation of the various programs /activities leading to quality improvement;
- Acting as a nodal agency of the Institution for coordinating quality-related activities, including adoption and dissemination of best practices;
- Development and maintenance of institution database through MIS for the purpose of maintaining / enhancing the institutional quality;
- Periodical conduct of Academic and Administrative Audit and its follow-up.
- Preparation and submission of the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) as per guidelines and parameters of NAAC.
Operational Features of IQAC
Quality assurance is the bye-product of the ongoing efforts to define the objectives of an institutions, to have a work plan to achieve them and to specify the checks and balances to evaluate the degree to which each of the task is fulfilled.
Hence, devotion and commitment to improvement rather than mare institutional control is the basis for devising procedures and instruments for assuring quality.
The right balance between the health and growth of an institution needs to be stuck. The IQAC has to ensure that whatever is done in the institution for “education” is done efficiently and effectively with high standards.
In order to do this, the IQAC will have to establish procedures and modalities to collect data and information on various aspects of the institutional functioning.
IQAC will facilitate / contribute to
- Ensure heightened level of clarity and focus in institutional functioning towards
- Ensure internalization of the quality culture
- Ensure enhancement and coordination among various activities of the institution and institutionalize all good practices
- Provide a sound basis for decision-making to improve institutional functioning
- Act as a dynamic system for quality changes in HEIs
- Build an organized methodology of documentation and internal communication
IQAC may be constituted in every institution under the Chairmanship of the Head of the institution with heads of important academic and administrative units and a few teachers and a few distinguished educationists and representatives of local management and stakeholders. The composition of the IQAC may be as follows:
- Chairperson: Head of the Institution
- A few senior administrative officers
- Three to eight teachers
- One member from the Management
- One/two nominees from local society, Students and Alumni
- One/two nominees from Employers /Industrialists/stakeholders
- One of the senior teachers as the coordinator/Director of the IQAC